First post of my first blog. The intention here is to start a collection of reports, stories, passions, photos etc. centering around the subject of food and rippling out into who knows where. At this first "blog" writing on July 18, 2009 I am in the process of finalizing my 2nd cook booklet... with the goal being to have copies in my hand by my next contracted retreat which is in early August. I am intending that this blog is the beginning of book 3 which aspires to be a more refined book with color photos, metaphorical food to life wisdom, perhaps a book on retreat catering/cooking for groups.
For today: I picked 1 1/2 gallons of beautiful organic blueberries at my dear friend Beth and Ricks farm in St. Helens, Oregon. A beautiful peaceful hour or so in their blueberry field. I was remembering a prompt from a yoga teacher earlier in the week about "communicating"... communicating with our environment as well as people... non-verbal communication... just bringing awareness into our moments. In remembering this as I was picking I turned from the incessant always going/flowing mind chatter to the possibility of "commune" icating with the breeze, the blueberry plants, the grassy ground I was standing on, the birds I was hearing, the air I was breathing.... just being present and lo and behold a hummer buzzed me...than shot straight up in the air and came down and buzzed me again... and again until it had my full attention at which point it went and perched on the fence close by while I deeply smiled inside and out at the remembrance of the medicine cards identification of Hummingbird = Joy medicine/energy...
Such a presence of gratitude washed over...
I'm going to take those blueberries and try drying them this batch to enjoy with my breakfast cereals this fall and winter (if they last that long!)... and no doubt will remember the joyful hummingbird dance as I do. I have never dried Blueberries before so I will let you know how they turn out. Beth was expressing a bit of her experience with drying.. that you have to pick out the ones that dry first so as to not let them get to hard while you are waiting for the others. She also said that she read that if you really want to get down... you can prick each with a needle which supposedly helps them dry a bit faster... We shall see if I get to that laborious task.
I also bought Fresh Salmon from the Native Americans (or I believe I have heard that it is more "PC" to say "Indians these days) at Cascade locks. Beautiful blue Chinook salmon about as fresh as you can get at $4 per pound. They fillet it right there for you or steak it or sell it whole.. as you like. I prepared some fresh tonight with my favorite mayo and fresh dill and simply grilled till just barely cooked through. The recipe is in my "'Alma de Casa" cookbook along with 3 other excellent and easy recipes for salmon.
Ok.. that's my first entry... short and sweet as it is the end of a full day and I am ready to head for the tipi for a bit of reading and a good sleep. Will post a photo tomorrow... wish I had taken one as I was buying the fish at the roadside... Now that I have this blog I will perhaps remember to take some interesting photos to add...
I think I might sign my posts by a little play on words....... "Chow"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nice first post! I like the story about the hummer...sounds like a nice way to *be* in the blueberry field. Looking forward to more postings; gosh, I'd better get to work on processing the blueberries...Beth
ReplyDelete