Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Edible Flowers and more...

It has been a full on 3 months of one group after the other. While extremely grateful for the abundance of work during these times when many are struggling to find employment, I am deeply appreciating a week in between jobs to sit here and add SOMETHING! to this blog.
I love the late summer and fall 'season' of jobs in that it is the season of abundance. August still carries forth a few straggling cherries, strawberries and raspberries and hails in peaches, nectarines, melons and .... I don't even know why I started to list because the list goes on and on. My favorite aspect of this time of year though is the edible flowers that are so easily and abundantly available. I love using nasturtiums, bachelor buttons, johnny jump ups, pansies and borrage flowers along with the various flowered out vegetable tops. It is really interesting to watch peoples reactions to seeing so many flowers in their food. People are very often afraid to eat them. I am constantly announcing "the flowers are not only edible but tasty". It is fun to hear peoples conversations about eating them and just the extra delight it brings to their eating experience. They really add such a delightful and special touch to not only the presentation of the food but to the flavor. I always tell people that it will make them giggle if they eat the flowers... or at least smile... They certainly do make my heart smile.
I often hear of a certain flower that is edible that I don't tried and true know of. One of those has been the fuchsia. Many sources say that fuchsia is edible but I found information that says otherwise. Here is a blog link with some good information about edible flowers: http://blog.clareflorist.co.uk/flowers/2007/06/delicious_edibl.html You can find lots of different info on the web. My main recommendation is that you USE EDIBLE FLOWERS when ever available! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment